More text

Nothing says "I Love You, Dear" like screaming lower back pain!

Sometimes Wrong but rarely in doubt!

01 March 2010

Bugbear's Obscure Word of the Week

Mrs. Bugbear and I like to play Scrabble.  Sadly with the two little bugbears running and crawling around we don't get much chance to play.  However, Saturday night we managed to get a game in.  It was a hard fought game in which Mrs. Bugbear got all the high scoring letters(Q,Z, & X).  I managed to win by virtue of playing the following word on a triple word score and getting the 50 bonus points for using all my letters:



KNOUTING



For your enlightenment

knout
(nout)   
n.  A leather scourge used for flogging.
tr.v.   knout·ed, knout·ing, knouts
To flog with a knout.

[French, from Russian knut, from Old Russian knutŭ, from Old Norse knūtr, knot in cord.]

Mrs Bugbear and I had a good laugh at the end of the game.  For your further reference I encountered the word in the book Mutiny On the Bounty.  A book I read for enjoyment in grade seven or eight, a couple of years before the Mel Gibson film based on the events.

1 comment:

  1. I rarely beat my wife at Scrabble but this weekend I got QUAY on a triple, plus MY as a crossing word, for 68. That sufficed to win.

    ReplyDelete

Polite and erudite comments by