More text

Nothing says "I Love You, Dear" like screaming lower back pain!

Sometimes Wrong but rarely in doubt!

17 January 2011

Cold

As part of Lent and turning forty I decided to give up the luxury of getting up at 5:45am.  I have taken to getting up at 5:20 so I can get in some walking.  This morning I got up at the aforementioned 5:20 got my fleece long-johns on and went outside.  It seemed pretty brisk so I strapped on my snowshoes and spent about twenty minutes trudging around our two acre lot.  I walked about around the perimeter five times which is a bit over a mile and an eighth (about two thousand yards).



Generally I work up a pretty good sweat, but this morning I was pretty much dry.  I suppose snowshoeing for twenty minutes in minus twenty-eight degree Celsius (-18 F) temperatures helps a person stay dry, but to be honest I didn't really think it was that cold.  When I walked up to the door, though I glanced in the side window and saw the hoarfrost had rimed my beard and hat.

2 comments:

  1. "Living in a climate where snowshoes are usable" takes care of your Lenten requirements.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My wife gave me the snowshoes as a gift last year(2009) at Christmas. There wasn't enough snow last year to try them out. I must say that she bought me a really good pair though now that I've put a few miles on them. The only problem with them is that in the really cold weather the rubberized strap loses almost all of its eleasticity. A buckle or friction system like the straps over the toes would have been better.

    ReplyDelete

Polite and erudite comments by