More text

Nothing says "I Love You, Dear" like screaming lower back pain!

Sometimes Wrong but rarely in doubt!

13 September 2011

The Magicians

Lev Grossman
ISBN:  0670020559
Rating: Buy, Hardcover, Used

In a rare display of providence I did actually buy a used hardcover version of Lev Grossman's The Magicians.  I have to say that I didn't care very much for the book.  I guess I reached my limits of nihilism by the second book.  Unfortunately Mr Grossman really ramped up the nihilism for the remainder of the book.

There are some things that Mr Grossman is to be complimented on.  His prose flows very well and is very polished.  He has an ability to manipulate and massage the English language that I can only envy. He tells a story well and manages to move it along with good pace. His only fault is a lack of verbal interaction among the characters which I feel was responsible for the book seeming to be self-absorbed.

Overall The Magicians is a well written, well told story, but the story really isn't very good and didn't really need to be told.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Polite and erudite comments by