More text

Nothing says "I Love You, Dear" like screaming lower back pain!

Sometimes Wrong but rarely in doubt!

19 September 2011

Spice Tea Jelly

I decided to make a foray into jelly making on the weekend.  I have a preserves book and I was taking a gander at jelly recipes.  I decided to modify the recipe a bit.


5 cups of water
8 cinnamon sticks
2 tbsp of allspice berries
12 cloves
6 green cardamon pods
2 chai teabags (optional)
4 cups of sugar
1/2 cup of lemon juice
1 Package of Certo Liquid Pectin

Combine all the spice except the cardamon pods, boil in the water for about twenty minutes add the cardamon pods after ten to fifteen minutes.  If you're using the teabags then let the tea steep in the boiled spice mixture for 10 minutes (strong tea).  Combine two and 1/4 cups of tea with the lemon and pectin, bring to a boil and then add the sugar (use a large pot with lots of room because it will boil quite high).  Bring the solution to 220C and then jar as you would any jam or jelly.


The recipe provides enough tea for two batches so I recommend making one batch without the tea and one with the tea.  It'll take a couple of days for the batch made without the teabag to take on it's full flavour and even then it's best served on its own.  The batch with the teabags has a rich dark brown color and the batch without has a pale amber color.

My mother was quite taken with the batch made with the tea, to the point that she stole a jar and wrote down the recipe. (Yes my elbow is still sore from patting myself on the back).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Polite and erudite comments by