More text

Nothing says "I Love You, Dear" like screaming lower back pain!

Sometimes Wrong but rarely in doubt!

11 October 2011

Nan's Baked Beans

I called up my mother on the weekend to get my maternal grandmother's(Nan's) baked bean recipe for Thanksgiving.  I modified it slightly and I think that I'm going to try it lightly smoked for Christmas.

Nan's Baked Beans

2 cups Dried Great Northern Beans
4 cups Homemade Chili Sauce
2 cups Brown Sugar
2 tbsp of Molasses
2 tbsp of Vinegar
1 tbsp of Tomato Paste
2 tbsp of Grainy Mustard
12 slices Thick Cut Bacon
2 tsp Baking Soda

Soak beans overnight.  Bring the beans and baking soda to a boil in ten cups of water.  Drain and Rinse the beans.  Bring the beans to a simmer in ten cups of cups and simmer for 45 to 60 minutes.  Place beans in a large casserole dish.  Mix the chili sauce, brown sugar, molasses, vinegar, & grainy mustard together and pour over the beans, gently stir the mixture into the beans. Place the bacon on to of the mixture and bake at 350F until bubbling.  Alternatively, pre-cook the bacon, slice it and mix directly into the beans.

My grandmother was the type of cook that could boil your underwear without salt or spice and you'd ask for seconds.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Polite and erudite comments by