More text

Nothing says "I Love You, Dear" like screaming lower back pain!

Sometimes Wrong but rarely in doubt!

20 March 2012

Purple Martin House

This weekend's project was the erection of a multi-unit aviary for Purple Martins.  I've always been fascinated by Purple Martins and I've wanted to put up a house for them for many years.  Now that my wife and I have a country home I've realized a long term goal/dream, a bucket list item perhaps.  The Martin house itself was a gift from my in-laws and I have to admit that the white house with it's cedar shake roof and red trim is quite sharp looking.

Erecting a purple martin house always had a practical aspect as the mosquitoes in eastern Ontario are big enough to bugger a deer without using a stool to stand on.  My understanding was that Purple Martins ate thousands of insects each day.  Last night I did a little research on the Purple Martin's diet and found that they eat:

...dragonflies, damselflies, butterflies, moths, grasshoppers, katydids, mayflies, cicadas, beetles, flies, wasps, midges, and flying ants...
See any mosquitoes on that list?

I guess I'm going to have to add building bat houses to my bucket list.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Polite and erudite comments by