More text

Nothing says "I Love You, Dear" like screaming lower back pain!

Sometimes Wrong but rarely in doubt!

21 March 2012

Snail cappers and Volumetric Powder Flask Spouts



Snail Capper by Tedd Cash.
I recently misplaced the capper for my Pietta Colt 1860 Army reproduction.  Since fumbling caps onto the nipples with Bugbear-sized fingers is a pain (not just because of my arthritis) I decided to buy a Tedd Cash snail capper based on some YouTube videos by duelist1954.  The capper is available through Track of the Wolf.

I'm mostly pleased with the capper.  I need to do a small amount of filing to get it to work with my gun.  My chiefest complaint is that the capper is sized to accommodate No. 11 caps and I'm currently using No. 10 caps.  Consequently the No. 10 caps can turnover inside the capper.  This is a bit of a pain in the fundament but when I eventually run out of No. 10 caps I will be replacing the nipples on the cylinder and changing to the more commonly available No. 11 caps.  In the meantime I'm going to get a sheet of brass and line the inside of the capper to reduce the inside dimension to suit the No. 10 caps.

With the caveats noted above this is a great product.  Capping the revolver is much easier. The greater surface area makes capping while keeping the muzzle in a safe orientation a simpler task.  It's also much quicker than the straight capper I'd modified to suit my revolver.
At the same time I also purchased a new powder flask and some volumetric spouts (20, 22, 24, 30, 60 and 90 grains by volume).  I highly recommend this practice.  I've reduced the time to load the revolver from 5-7 minutes down to 3-4.  I could perhaps shave a bit more by going to pre-lubed wads (like the Ox-Yoke Wonder Wad).  I'm considering taking a large bore plastic syringe or a cake decorating bag to apply the lube to the front of the ball.  It's not period, but then neither are the Wonder Wads.  The flask is also available at Track of the Wolf


No comments:

Post a Comment

Polite and erudite comments by