More text

Nothing says "I Love You, Dear" like screaming lower back pain!

Sometimes Wrong but rarely in doubt!

22 May 2012

Wolf River Apples

When I was but a wee Bugbear, a friend and I used to go to this old apple tree in the remains of an orchard behind an abandoned house.  I'm sure this tale isn't unique to me but the reason that I still remember the story thirty-five years later is that the apples were Wolf River Apples.  For those not in the know Wolf River Apples can weigh as much as a pound.  When I was a kid stealing apples from that old orchard I remember the apples being as big as my head.

Since the first little Miss Bugbear was born I've been looking for a Wolf River Apple Tree to plant.  This weekend I was finally successful.  So in about 3-5 years we should see some apples from the tree I found at the Home Despot on Saturday.

We have a couple of crab apple trees in front of the house so pollination shouldn't be a problem, however just to be safe I'll plant one of the pollination partners of Wolf River Apple trees such as a Honeycrisp, Spartan or Gala.

1 comment:

  1. Great article. I really enjoyed it. There are over 7000 different types of apples around the world. Over 2000 different kinds are raised in the USA. Every variety of apple is unique and has a different story. The apple is an amazing fruit. The Wolf River Apples look huge.

    ReplyDelete

Polite and erudite comments by