I must say that my STI Spartan is if anything too reliable. In all the time I've owned it I had four double-feeds. Two of them, of course, happened in this weekend's match, in succession, clear double-feed, get another double-feed, clear double feed, keep shooting. The funny thing is that on the same course of fire the pistol didn't feed when I racked the slide the first time. I say it's too reliable because I have almost no experience clearing a double-feed. I was utterly discombobulated by the malfunction. I need to find a way to practice dealing with malfunctions.
While I was at the match I took the time to observe how the organizers were running the match. I made a few notes:
- Provide rain cover for the the targets, garbage bags work okay. If there's a threat of fog or heavy dew the targets need to be covered.
- Ziploc bags for the timers
- Overhead cover for shooters (for rain or sun).
- Bottled water
- Johnny on the spot.
- The score keeper needs a clipboard that has a compartment for the shooter's scoring cards and a cover for the card being scored for rainy day matches.
- Have a well posted location for signup, signing into the range and for taking fees.
- Have many spare targets already made up, ie no-shoots, priority targets (pistol, knife etc).
I've developed a callus on my right thumb from loading mags, to borrow a quote from Hickok45 of youtube fame, "Life is good!"